Large scale and regular drone traffic
in urban environments
for social services
Developing drones for the distribution of social beneficial products and services in an urban environment presents a complex challenge that demands new airspace infrastructure. How will they be allowed to move, and how can they be integrated into the social structure? What are the possibilities and limitations for creating new, large-scale and secure infrastructure? To explore how an open testbed can play a key role in the development of this infrastructure, a feasibility study is currently underway where the aim is to establish the Urban Drone Testbed in Kista, Stockholm. The prestudy is conduted together with Ericsson, the City of Stockholm, Telia Company, Swedish CAA, Linköpings University, KTH SML, RISE Drone Center Sweden, the Swedish Transport Administration, Globhe
The goal of the Urban Drone Testbed is to contribute to sustainable and connected city development by creating the conditions for brand-new, secure services and business sectors where drones are made a natural part of the urban environment.
Towards the elevated, sustainable & livable society
Urban Drone Testbed will focus on:
– 4G LTE/5G
Public safety emergency response
– Drone surveillance and documentation of accidents
Public need (DOT STHLM)
– Inspection of road surface quality and signs
– Measure and identify emissions of different kind (particles, fluids, smoke pillars aso)
– Traffic surveillance (national system)
– Drones for parking
Smart city solutions
– Transportation of blood and organs (short range)
– Mapping geodata
– IR filming for discover energy loss in buildings
– Construction sites /Real estate
– Drone interoperability autonomous vehicles road
– Enable safe air space environment
The prestudy is ongoing and will be finished this summer. The result will be a full application for establishing the testbed.
Want to be a part of this? Please sign up here!
Want to know more? Contact
Every project in the Urban ICT Arena has a project plan where we make sure that our criterias and aims are fullfilled.
Download the Urban Drone Testbed Project plan here! (pdf)